CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Ballet

Well, I don't know about any of you, but it has been YEARS since I went to see a ballet show! A good friend of mine works for the BalletMet and sometimes gets free tickets. Pretty cool, huh?! She has been working there for almost a year now as an executive assistant. It's a pretty good job 'cause she doesn't have to leave until 8:00 in the morning and is home by 2:00 in the afternoon. I hope to be so lucky someday when my kids are both in school!!! :) Anyway, my friend invited me to see the show "Dracula" put on by the BalletMet. We went to see the show today and it was AWESOME!!!!!! I guess I had forgotten how good the ballet or even theatre plays can be!!! I shouldn't be surprised that I liked it! It reminded me of the art shows that I have been to. I came away with that same feeling. It is just simply so creative and words cannot express it. Maybe that is why they call it "performing arts!" :)) Anyway, it got me to thinking about Carleta's blog (about kids). I started wondering how many children go without ever seeing such a play! Kinda sad, huh?! How would a child ever know if they were interested in the perfoming arts if they have never been exposed?! I must admit - my children have never been to one. I can say, though, that they will definately be going to one now! :) I guess what I'm trying to say is this: kids should be exposed to many, many different things. Education and sports is only a small part of it. There are so many other things that get a back burner like music, art, dance, etc. It would be nice for kids to get the whole experience in life. I don't know how to do this myself, with my own kids, but I am going to strive to find a way. I suppose being aware of it is a big part of it. But, maybe not being so rigid is also a part. And, maybe being open-minded is a part as well. Anyway, after reading Carleta's blog I got to thinking. I want to help my children find wings to fly. Every parent does. My point being: how can our children find their wings to fly if they can't see all of their choices?! I don't know. I feel that I was led to this show for a purpose. It was a good show, but it wasn't ONLY a show for me. I came out of it with a much deeper feeling than that. It is a feeling that I want my children to know about. I want them to see beyond this small horizon of Grove City and Columbus. I want them to see and appreciate the world and ALL that is out there for them. After the show (and even during I guess) I wished I was a child again. I wished I had been given the opportunities that I am talking about. Maybe I would have liked being a dancer. I will never know. My time has passed, but my children's time has not. I am going to give them the chance that so many of us miss out on! Sitting here as I ramble on - I am thinking - I DID go to some performances as a child. Maybe another part of teaching my kids will be TALKING to them. Not only expose them to such performances, but also talk to them about it. Oh well! I am not sure exactly what I am trying to say. I just know that I want my kids exposed to different things in life. I want them to get to see and do things that I never did. I want them to have a fun childhood. I guess I want what every parent wants - the world at my children's fingertips!!!!! :) Most of all - I want them to be happy!!! I don't want them to look back one day and say, "I didn't know I could be that?" I, as their mother, feel responsible! I have been given such an important job and some days I don't feel honorable enough to do it. But I'm sure gonna try! God uses days such as today as reminders on how to do my best. And he uses blogs as reminders, too! :)
Thanks for listening to my ramblings!!!!! I have so many thoughts going through my mind and they are all jumbled. I hope anyone reading this could follow (enough that I don't sound like a crazy gal)! :)
Love ya!

3 comments:

Miranda said...

I agree that arts can be a great experience!!! :)) I'm a huge fan of plays and musical theater. I've seen several Shakespeare plays and love that experience. I've never really gotten into ballet...but I'm glad you enjoyed it! Everyone has their favorites!

As far as performing arts go, though, I totally recommend STOMP if you haven't seen it. I've seen it twice and have vowed to go every year it comes to Columbus. (only every-other-year, so should be here in '07) I'm trying Blue Man Group this year. I'll let you know how that goes! :))

carleta said...

Dallas experienced his first ballet a couple of years ago. They went to the Nutcracker on a school field trip. They even told the kids to dress nice. It was a good experience for him. I think as parents sometimes we think of dance and arts more for girls but, that is a shame. I know I wouldn't have thought to take Dallas. But, he loved it!!! Part of it he thought was boring.... But now he collects Nutcrackers!!! LOL>> (only Dallas) I'm glad you enjoyed your Dracula and I think your boys are lucky to have you for their MOM! Love ya :))

Miranda said...

Aahhh, NUTCRACKER!!! Bring back any memories Heather??? LOL