CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Jackson's A Trooper!

Hey guys! I have some news that I hadn't shared before now! Jackson had been referred from his pediatrician to a dermatologist to have a mole checked out! The mole hasn't always been there - it just showed up about a year or so ago. We never thought much of it, but in the last few months it has gotten slightly longer. It is a flat mole almost like a freckle - it is just darker than normal. So............we scheduled his appt. for today. We were very fortunate, in the fact that, we got an appt. quickly. It can take a looooong time to get in with a dermatologist. I have a dermatologist I have seen in the past, but I don't really care for him (he is very abrupt). I knew I didn't want to take Jack to him, so I called around to some different places. We got in w/in two weeks due to the fact that this particular dr. was new to the office. He hadn't yet built up a lot of patients. Now, some people might be nervous to go to someone new, but, not me!!!!! I figure he is a dr. and knows what he is doing. If I get there and don't like what I see, I can always leave or get a second opinion! Ya know?! :) Anyway, I am glad we took our chances b/c the dr. did very well! And his nurse was terrific!!! She knew how to talk to kids and that was very helpful. I was there w/Jackson and Jacob all by myself. To their credit, both boys were troopers!!! Poor Jack!!! He only knew the dr. was going to look at his mole! It is on his chin. Well, as soon as the dr. looks at it, he says he is going to biopsy it and remove it at the same time! He told Jack that the needle (to numb it) would feel like a splinter coming out. I told him it would feel like a bad pinch! My poor baby was very scared, but got right up on that table and held my hand and did soooooooo good! I got to be right there and watch the whole thing! I could totally tell how much the shot to numb it hurt!!! And, once the needle was in, the numbing medicine going in - it hurt, too! The whole numbing process only took a minute or so, but it was a long minute! Jackson winced and I held his hand and rubbed his forehead! He did terrific!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am soooooo proud of him!!!!!!!!!! After numbing it, they took a piece off to biopsy and then cut the rest out! He only needed one stitch, but he is very proud of that stitch!!!!!!! :) As he should be!!!!!!! The nurse later told him how well he did. She said they had a twelve yr. old earlier that day who didn't do as good as Jack! :) Now, no jabbing the twelve yr. old or anything, 'cause I am sure it hurt, but it certainly made us proud! :) Anyway, they are sending out the biopsy and we will have the results in about two weeks or so. The drs. say it is usually not a concern in children, but that word is still very scary!!!!!! Please keep my boy in your thoughts and prayers!!!!!! Thank you so much! We are hoping that the worst is over! I let Jackson stay home from school today. His appt. was at 10:40 clear up in Dublin (actually considered the Powell area). Plus, I was having two warts looked at as well. By the time we were done, it was after noon. To get all the way back to Grove City, what would be the use? School ends at 2:30. So, I figure, he deserved some fun seeing what he went through! :) So, we went to Tuttle Mall and stayed there forever! The boys and I had Chick-Fil-A for lunch. Then the boys played and we walked around. We were gone the whole day! We had Mark meet us there after work. We had Jack's hair cut on the way home, and then, went to Burger King to eat dinner (the BK on the west side w/a playplace)! :) We didn't get home till almost 8:00 at night!!!!! :) I think it was a day well spent!!!!!!! My boys deserved it!!!!!! For Jacob's part - he deserves some credit, too! During the procedure, he stayed by the chairs and didn't move. That was sooooooo helpful b/c I was busy holding Jack's hand and, also, I was completely blocked in by the nurse!!!!!!! If Jacob HAD gotten upset or whiny or anything, I would have been stuck! But...........that good boy!!!!!! He was great!!!!!!!!!! :) So...........as a mom - I need to remember these times and how good they were 'cause it isn't always like that!!!! LOL!!!!! :)
I am sorry I didn't tell anyone earlier about this procedure! I think I was blocking it out of my mind until the day came! I pretty much knew that the dr. would remove it. When I took Jackson to his pediatrician for his strep (a couple wks. ago) and she asked about his mole - she told me the dermatologist would most likely remove it. It didn't seem like a big, huge deal, but I didn't want to alarm Jack. I decided to wait and see and put it in the back of my mind. Plus, I got sick and my neck hurt so bad, it was easy to forget until today came! Hey, I just realized something!!!!! I have been thinking that me being sick and my neck bothering me for the last two wks. was such a pain in the butt!!!!! And, don't get me wrong, it was!!!!! But...........maybe that is the way it was supposed to be - 'cause it certainly got my mind off of that darn mole!!!!! I had too many other things to worry about! If I look at it in retrospect, my getting sick and going through what I went through, it truly was a blessing!!!! I would totally have obsessed about Jack's mole otherwise!!!!!!! WOW! I suffer from OCD, so, imagine how hard that would have been! But...........it wasn't hard where the mole was concerned 'cause I was so sick I didn't have time to think about it! PROFOUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Okay, God, what are you going to give me for the next two weeks so that I don't obsess on this darn biopsy?!!!!!!! :)))))
Thanks in advance for all of your thoughts and prayers!!!!!!!!!! It means a lot to me!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

carleta said...

Way to go Jack.... I had to take Steph to get a mole removed when she was a little older than him... and well.... she was more like the 12 yr old lol...Anyways I am sure everything will be alright! Take care and we will pray for him!!!

Miranda said...

Isn't it cool when we see God's power in things?? I'll definately be praying for Jack. And you for that matter!! You guys will make it through and I know things will work out!

Amy said...

Wow-I can imagine how scary that was for Jack, as well as you! As a mom, you are right, we definitely don't want to see our babies go through anything painful. I don't know if I could handle anything with Jenna and Alyssa, but I know everything will be fine. That is great that Jack did so well! I will pray for both you and Jack.

Carrie said...

Poor Jack! I winced a little when I read your blog...forget about the 12 year old, I almost cried like a baby a couple years ago when I had 3 or 4 moles burned off my neck. I personally thought that the numbing hurt more than anything else!