CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Everybody Hurts Sometimes

Okay - this one is for a special friend of mine who sounds like she is struggling a bit emotionally. Although I don't know her exact story - I do know that she gets depressed and is on medication to help (good move in my opionion). Well, guess what, I have a confession to make (I know, another one) and this one's for my special friend! :) And since this is my blog - this may be news to others as well. I just felt that my story is important to tell. The time is right - ya know what I mean?! I hope it helps someone! My story has definately not been a secret - it is just something I don't typically talk about and you will soon see why. Here goes (hold on for the ride): I, too, am on medication (since March). I am being treated for OCD. For those who are reading this and thinking, "huh?!" - it stands for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Now, I'm sure some of you are thinking 1) I think I have that and/or 2) I know people who have that. Well, I am one of the lucky ducks who gets to have it bad enough that it starts interfering with everyday life! You see, the majority of people we know who have OCD are functioning daily and doing well. They just check things several times or count things in their heads, etc., but it doesn't interfere in daily life. My OCD for most of my life had been at that functioning level. I had little things I obsessed about, but I managed and did well in life. Then, I just suddenly took a turn for the worse (about two years ago). I remember vividly being very happy at Jacob's 1st birthday party and then later that week - BOOM - something was wrong!! I kept going to the dr. and he kept putting me on depression medications. One after another. These medicaitons did not help with my problem (at the time we didn't realize that I had OCD). I would go to the dr. and I would be upset and crying (so that is what the dr. would see and hear). So the drs. would put me on the meds. for depression and we would hope that would work. It never did (I had been on depression medicine in my past after having Jackson due to post-partum) so I know that depression medications DO work - so why wasn't it working now?! I felt like a crazy person! As the months progressed and the depression meds. not working - I finally decided to go see a therapist! And thank the Lord I did! This is where I found out (and quite quickly I might add) that I have OCD. I mean I always knew I had it - it had just gotten worse! It had gotten bad I must admit! So - I was immediately taken off my current medication and put on a med. specifically for OCD! After all this time (like two years) I had become a bit skeptical (like anything would work), but I was still willing to try! And I am here to tell you - the "new" medication worked! It really did! Between medication and therapy I feel so good. I feel so good, in fact, that few people even know my story! Again, it was never a secret - it's just who wants to talk about my OCD issues when I am having fun with my friends?! Ya know what I mean?! It just dredges up feelings I have worked so hard to get past! I get away from it when I am out with people having fun! Talking about it would mean "thinking" about it and I do that enough in therapy! :)
I am sharing my story today for several reasons and here they are:
1) for my special friend (b/c of her I realized it should be told b/c it could help others)
2) to share with the world that medication helps (ignore the controversy - Tom Cruise)!
3) to share with the world that therapy helps as well (don't be embarrassed or ashamed)
4) to encourage others to open up about their issues and share them (we all have problems)
5) to let people know that YOU ARE NOT ALONE!
6) to let people know that GOD LOVES YOU (just a reminder)! :)
and last, but certainly not least,
7) to assure you that YOU ARE SPECIAL (in case you didn't know)
I guess my thought for today is my title "Everybody Hurts Sometimes." We are all dealing with some kind of issue. These issues may be very similar or they may be worlds apart, but still, we have a connection. I hope that we can learn to be a support system for one another. I hope we can learn to open up and share more with each other.
In closing I would just like to say this: I am an example that things DO get better! It may not happen overnight (which sucks), but it will get better. It simply takes time (and in some cases medication and/or therapy). :) My best advice is to "hang in there." Life is worth it and life is waiting for you! If you are feeling down, go back and read my other blogs. They may help! Try and make your mark on this earth and let your voice be heard! This can be done in a quiet, subtle way. Be brave, be proud and know that you are an important part of life!
I love ya!

2 comments:

THE Ms. Stephanie said...

Heather you are definately the coolest person I know. It really did help me out. Maybe in the next few blogs I'll open up a little. I hate opening up though...but sometimes it helps me. But it might help you. Thanks for sharing that with me...I don't feel so ashamed to be on meds anymore. You are wonderful :)

Miranda said...

I believe God brings people into our lives for reasons...I'm thankful for you and our years of friendship!!! This has been a tough year, but I know I'll make it through w/ people like you!! :))