CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

New Kid At School

Okay - hopefully you guys have read Stephanie's blog before mine (if you are reading mine first, then check hers out next). Steph wrote about a new girl at school and reaching out to meet new people. So, of course, I have a story! LOL! :)
Many moons ago - I - was that new student! And I can tell ya......................... IT SUCKS!!!!!! It is the worst feeling I have ever felt in my whole life (emotional that is). :) Not knowing anyone and not having any friends - it is very hard. You put on your brave face, but it is so scary and hard! Luckily, when I moved to Ashville, I had one friend I knew who went there. This was a great thing. The bad part was that we didn't have ANY classes together. Even that wouldn't have been so bad, except for NO ONE and I mean NO ONE talked to me!!!!! Not in the classroom, not in the hallway, not at lunch, not anywhere!!!! Looking back I wonder what was wrong with these people! :) Anyway, the worst part of all was "lunch" on my very first day!! My mom and I had talked to the school counselor to make sure that I would be with the one person I knew during lunch! Even if we didn't have classes together - we could work it out to have lunch. This way I wouldn't be alone at lunch time! We all know that lunch time would be the worst place to be alone! Can you imagine?! Sitting in the cafeteria all alone?! It wouldn't have been horrible if you already knew people - you still might not like being alone, but at least you know the school - you know people. Being alone at lunch time is worse when you are sixteen and new and don't know a soul!!! How do I know this? Well, let me tell you how! The doofus counselor mixed up the schedules and my one friend wasn't there on my very first day at that new school!!!!!! I walked into the cafeteria looking for her and she was nowhere to be found! I felt so alone I wanted to crawl under the floor! I just sat down at a table - all alone - hoping that someone would invite me to come and sit with them! It never happened! It was not a good feeling! I think as Dr. Phil would say - it was a defining moment in my life! And the surprise is that it isn't in a bad way! It is a defining moment where I learned a lesson and ran with it! To this day I use the lesson learned and it makes me feel good! I have turned something that was a negative experience into something positive! That feels good!
What I learned to do was to "notice" other people. I think that is important. Simply to notice others and care. I remember the next year at school (at lunch) noticing another new girl (sitting alone) - that is how I knew she was new. Anyway, I walked right up to her and invited her to sit with us! And guess what?! She accepted! Turns out she was a senior (we at my table were juniors). Eventually, she moved on (after she got to know people in her grade), but I know deep in my heart that I helped her that first month of school when she was the new girl! I will never know, but I hope she remembers that experience. I hope she remembers not for glory for me, but b/c it is something I hope I passed on (and maybe she passed on, too). My point is this (you know I always have one): notice new people! It could be at your school, at work (it is scary being the new one at a job), at a party (I have seen plenty of people standing alone at parties looking forlorn), at your child's school, etc. There are new people everywhere and they need to be noticed. And not just noticed, but talked to! Ya know what I mean?! My final point is: be nice to new people - don't just see them and say hi (or worse say nothing). Stop and talk with them. Invite them to sit with you! I promise you will touch many lives by doing this! And think about it - we are all the "new" person many times in our lives. For some it is maybe easier than others. Either way - just go out into the world and take notice and touch someone (AT&T)! LOL! Remember the old AT&T commercials?! Go out and touch someone! That is my new motto! I love it! :) It sums up what I am saying in five simple words! LOL!! :)
GO OUT AND TOUCH SOMEONE!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Miranda said...

I like your motto...just be careful of touching people in the wrong places. I'm kidding.

Hey,if only those kids knew who they were in the prescence of!!! Then instead of seeing big noseholes coming down the halls, they'd be bowing at your feet, :))

THE Ms. Stephanie said...

lol I'd have to say I agree with Miss Miranda! I love you Heather--and I am trying to do the right thing!